Scientific Core Facility Medical Biometry and Statistical Bioinformatics
Department of Medical Statistics
MBSB offers support for the following:
- Study design, sample size calculations
- Biostatistics and bioinformatics approaches for grant applications
- Data wrangling, data management
- Statistical analysis of medical and biological datasets
- Bioinformatics analysis of medical and biological datasets (e.g. microarray, proteomics and next-generation sequencing data)
- Analysis of sequencing data (e.g. RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, Methyl-seq, metagenomics Data, copy number changes)
- Development of specialized analysis approaches and software
- Interpretation of results
- Software selection
- Visualization and representation of results
Short consulting is mainly targeted at doctoral students with questions regarding statistical and bioinformatics matters in their dissertation, as well as other researchers. Office hours are Tuesdays 1-3pm, and can be attended as often as required. To avoid long waiting times, sessions are typically limited to 15-30 minutes. No prior appointment is necessary.
You can attend the short counselling session in person or online. For face-to-face counselling, simply drop by during the counselling period. For online counselling, click here to go to the waiting area in RocketChat.
Professional analysis and study design
We offer professional biostatistics and bioinformatics design and analysis for scientific studies. We recommend to contact MBSB early on, i.e. in the planning phase of the experiment, to ensure an appropriate match between the study goals, its design, data collection and analysis. This helps to avoid serious flaws which could jeopardize the study.
To register for an appointment, please use our PDF or web form. A staff scientist will contact you shortly afterwards for a date and time. Please note that, depending on the extent of the research, this service may involve a fee. This money serves only to re-finance the core facility and will be fully rerouted back into the UMG research budget.
Methods and software courses
MBSB offers special courses for selected biostatistics and bioinformatics methods and software. Dates will be announced on our website as well as by our newsletter. Examples include:
- „Data Analysis in Proteomics“
- „Biometry und sample size planning in grants for animal studies“
- „Analysis of NGS experiments“
Details will be provided with the respective course announcement.
This might also be interesting to you