Scientific Core Facility Medical Biometry and Statistical Bioinformatics
Department of Medical Statistics
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our consultation services as well as coached working will be conducted online at the moment.
MBSB offers support for the following:
- Study design, sample size calculations
- Biostatistics and bioinformatics approaches for grant applications
- Data wrangling, data management
- Statistical analysis of medical and biological datasets
- Bioinformatics analysis of medical and biological datasets (e.g. microarray, proteomics and next-generation sequencing data)
- Analysis of sequencing data (e.g. RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, Methyl-seq, metagenomics Data, copy number changes)
- Development of specialized analysis approaches and software
- Interpretation of results
- Software selection
- Visualization and representation of results
Short consulting is mainly targeted at doctoral students with questions regarding statistical and bioinformatics matters in their dissertation, as well as other researchers. Office hours are Tuesdays 1-3pm, and can be attended as often as required. To avoid long waiting times, sessions are typically limited to 15-30 minutes. No prior appointment is necessary.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, consultations are via video conference only. Please visit the waiting area in RocketChat to participate.
Professional analysis and study design
We offer professional biostatistics and bioinformatics design and analysis for scientific studies. We recommend to contact MBSB early on, i.e. in the planning phase of the experiment, to ensure an appropriate match between the study goals, its design, data collection and analysis. This helps to avoid serious flaws which could jeopardize the study.
To register for an appointment, please use our PDF or web form. A staff scientist will contact you shortly afterwards for a date and time. Please note that, depending on the extent of the research, this service may involve a fee. This money serves only to re-finance the core facility and will be fully rerouted back into the UMG research budget.
During coached working, we offer support in the use of statistics and bioinformatics software such as Statistica, SPSS, SAS and R. This service is on a drop-in basis and does not require previous registration.
For more information, please visit the website.
Methods and software courses
MBSB offers special courses for selected biostatistics and bioinformatics methods and software. Dates will be announced on our website as well as by our newsletter. Examples include:
- „Data Analysis in Proteomics“
- „Biometry und sample size planning in grants for animal studies“
- „Analysis of NGS experiments“
Details will be provided with the respective course announcement.
This might also be interesting to you